Greenbelt Baptist Church began out of the concern of a couple, Mr. and Mrs. Charles C. Edwards, for a Baptist Church to be established in the City. In the early summer of 1953, concerned Baptists began to meet in the Greenbelt Theatre. They appealed to Dr. G. Walter Carpenter, Pastor of Capitol Hill Baptist Church, for help and for advice in promoting the work. He in turn referred the group to Dr. William Crowder, Director of Evangelism and Missions for the D.C. Baptist Convention. After consultation with First Baptist Church of Hyattsville and it’s Pastor, Dr. Henry Osgood, the Hyattsville church agreed to sponsor the new Chapel.
The first worship service and Sunday School were held on October 18, 1953. Dr. Crowder was acting pastor and Mr. John S. Stewart was Sunday School Superintendent. Through the cooperation of the Greenbelt City Manager, Charles T. McDonald, the new Chapel moved to Center School for its new home. On March 10, 1954, Capitol Hill Baptist Church of Washington became the new sponsor of the Chapel. In the fall of 1954, the Chapel called its first full-time pastor, Glenn W. Samuelson, who was Minister of Education at First Baptist Church, Silver Spring. In January 1955, the first parsonage was purchased.
In December 1955, four acres of land at the corner of Crescent and Greenhill Roads were purchased and plans developed for a building with Dr. James. T. McCarl as Chairman of the Building Committee. A Constitution Committee presented the proposed Constitution, and it was adopted by the Church on June 13, 1957. The Church was formally constituted as a Church in October 1957 with a membership of 151. On March 3, 1959, the new building was dedicated. The Sunday School rooms could accommodate 270, and the auditorium could seat 270. The cost of the building was $71,000.
Dr. Samuelson resigned August 1961 to join the faculty at Eastern Baptist College. In October 1961, S. Jasper Morris, Jr., Interim Pastor of Broadmoor Baptist Church in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, was called to be Pastor.
The second education unit was constructed in October 1963, and the new parsonage at 65-D Ridge Road was purchased in 1970. In 1973, Pastor Morris resigned and Dallas E. Pulliam was called as Pastor in July 1974. The active ministries under the leadership of Pastor Pulliam included a Bus Ministry, a Nursing Home Ministry, a Tape Ministry, a Puppet Ministry and a Senior Adult Fellowship. In 1982, the mortgage on the church was retired and in 1990 the mortgage on the parsonage was retired as well. In December 1992, Rev. Pulliam retired and the church selected Gerald Buckner as interim Pastor. The Church called Drew E. Shofner, then interim Pastor at Central Baptist Church, to be the new Pastor beginning in September 1993. During his tenure with Greenbelt, Drew completed his Doctorate and he and his wife, Marcia, were blessed with their first child, Hannah. Under his leadership, the Labor Day Face Painting Ministry, Wednesday Night Dinners, Bridge Team Ministry, Small Group Studies, and an additional Morning Worship Service were added. Also, a vision for a more updated building was begun and there were a number of renovation projects completed.
In July 1998, Pastor Shofner resigned and again, we called Rev. Gerald Buckner to lead us during this interim period. Dr. Mark A. Johnson, former Pastor of Calvary Baptist Church in Evansville, Indiana and Managing Editor of Preaching Magazine, was called as our sixth pastor June 1999. In May 2003, Mark married Allyson Cannard and became father to her son, Jonathan Polo. In May 2011, Rev. Michael Christ was called to be the seventh pastor of Greenbelt Baptist Church.